Glazed Strawberry Scones: They are SURE to be your new favorite strawberry recipe. A delicious way to use fresh or frozen strawberries!
I love the early summer. Early summer brings strawberry season, and we are so grateful to have a strawberry farm near us! My mom and I often go grab a gallon or two on the weekends at the local stands. Josh has even joined in on the fun of picking up strawberries when he is out!
Need other strawberry recipes? Check these out:
One of our favorite things to make with our freshly picked strawberries is these glazed strawberry scones. They are the perfect afternoon snack, with a glass of cold milk or a cup of tea. A great grab and go breakfast as well, strawberry scones are light and flaky.
While this recipe uses freshly picked berries, if you want to use frozen, you can. Simply thaw them out and drain before adding to the dough. You will want to make sure to drain thoroughly, or the dough will be too moist and not bake up correctly.
Other baking tips for these glazed strawberry scones:
- Don’t overwork the dough, mix it until just well combined. Overworking the dough can lead to tough scones.
- Only add enough flour to keep the dough together. It will be sticky and the temptation will be to add more. DON’T. Too much flour can lead to tough and “heavy” scones.
- Use wet hands when patting into a circle to keep from sticking.
- Cut the scones BEFORE placing into the oven, but don’t separate them until after they have finished the first bake cycle. This will help keep the edges cleaner and it will make them easier to separate.
What is your favorite strawberry recipe? Will you try these glazed strawberry scones?
Glazed Strawberry Scones
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter very cold
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups strawberries chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, 1 Tablespoon sugar, and salt.
Cut butter into little cubes and combine with flour mixture. Cut with pastry cutter or 2 forks until mixture is the crumbly.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Stir into the flour mixture.
Fold in strawberries and mix to combine. Turn dough out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Using wet hands, pat into a circle about 1/2" thick. Cut dough into 8 triangles and place into oven.
Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven. Carefully separate the triangles and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
While scones are finishing baking, combine powdered sugar and milk and stir to make glaze.
Drizzle glaze over hot scones and allow to cool a bit before serving.