Last Updated on December 17, 2021 by marina
Maybe you’ve had traditional sugar cookies, but have you ever had Chocolate Sugar Cookies? These are truly the best cookies you can make this holiday season. If you have a craving for something chocolatey during the holidays, make these festive cookies or bring them to your next cookie exchange!
Watch How to Make Chocolate Sugar Cookies!
Holiday baking is supposed to be fun and something that you do to make memories. These Chocolate Sugar Cookies are going to help ensure you have a tasty treat during the holidays, but they are going to be easy to make, which is what we’re going for here.
Have you tried my Amish Sugar Cookies too?
Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
If you’re into making new memories with your kids, then perhaps these cookies are for you. The best part of these cookies is that they are made with brown sugar, regular sugar, flour, and softened butter. You can do anything you want with these cookies! Eat them as is or make Christmas cookies out of them with sprinkles. They are always a huge hit at holiday parties because they can be so unique.
What Do You Need to Make Chocolate Sugar Cookies?
These cookies may even surprise you because you don’t need a whole lot of items to make them. In fact, you may have quite a few of these ingredients already in your house.
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Softened butter
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
Make sure you grab all of these ingredients soon, so that you can make the most delicious cookies for your guests.
How to Make Sugar Cookies that are Chocolate
- Preheat the oven.
- Mix the butter and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Go ahead and add the egg and the vanilla.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Finish making the cookies as instructed from the recipe card.
- Take the cookies and add them to a baking sheet.
- Allow the cookies to bake for the allotted time.
- Allow the cookies to cool before decorating and serving.
How to Store these Cookies
If you’re wanting to store these cookies, place them in an airtight container and then put them on the counter. They can be stored on the counter for about a week. You can also make these chocolate sugar cookies and then freeze them! You can freeze the dough for up to six months.
What is the Trick to Making Sugar Cookies?
Using brown sugar is the true trick to making sugar cookies. The brown sugar helps to make the cookies more moist and keep them from drying out.
What Causes Sugar Cookies to be Hard?
When you have a hard sugar cookie, it’s because you worked the dough too much. You don’t want to over handle the dough and make it hard.
How Thick Can a Sugar Cookie Be?
The ideal thickness of a sugar cookie is 1/4″. You don’t want a sugar cookie to be too think or too thin.
More Cookie Recipes to Try
Maybe you've had traditional sugar cookies, but have you ever had Chocolate Sugar Cookies? These are truly the best cookies you can make this holiday season. If you have a craving for something chocolatey during the holidays, make these festive cookies or bring them to your next cookie exchange!
- 2 ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1 ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size mixing bowl cream butter and brown sugar, mix for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next add cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Mix until well incorporated.
- At this point I like to switch from my mixer to a spoon as the dough gets thick!
- Add the flour and stir until the dough is soft and smooth and uniform in color.
- Using a cookie scoop, make balls of dough and drop them into the granulated sugar and roll.
- Place the cookies 3” apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the tops no longer look glossy.
- Allow to cool for a few moments on the baking sheet before removing.