Tender, flaky crust envelopes warm apples mixed with the crunch of almonds to bring a tasty dessert sensation in an almond apple pie.
What is rich and creamy, between two flaky layers of yummy crust? A sweet apple pie! This pie would be perfect for a weekend dessert for your family, or for a dinner party of guests as well. The best part of this almond apple pie is how quickly it can come together.
Do I have to use pre-made crust for this almond apple pie?
Although a pre-made crust will save time, your favorite homemade crust will be amazing in this pie. You can also just layer the crusts, without making cutouts, if you would like. The apple pie cut outs do make a cute finished product, however.
What are some awesome toppers for this apple dessert?
- creamy vanilla ice cream
- melty cheddar cheese
- whipped cream
- cinnamon mixed with a bit of powdered sugar and milk to make a glaze
What do I need to make this almond apple pie?
- If using a premade crust, line the bottom of a pie crust with one layer. If making homemade crust, make enough dough for 2 9 inch crusts.
- Mix cornstarch, sugar, and eggs together in a bowl.
- Add in chopped, peeled apples and mix with karo syrup, melted butter, and almonds
- Top with top layer of crust, or use cute cutouts.
- Bake in oven, then allow to cool completely.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days, or tightly covered on the counter for up to 3 days.
How long should I bake this pie for?
Generally, this pie will bake in 50 minutes. However, since ovens can vary, check at 45 minutes, and allow up to 60 minutes for baking. The center will be “set” and not jiggly when it is finished. The top will also be nice and golden brown.
If the pie appears to be getting dark too fast, simply cover with a pie shield, or with aluminum foil around the edges.
- • 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust, or your favorite pie crust recipe, uncooked
- • ¾ cup granulated sugar
- • ¼ cup corn starch
- • 3 large eggs
- • ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- • ½ cup dark corn syrup
- • ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- • 2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- • 1 cup almonds, some sliced and some whole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9-inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray, and place unbaked pie crust in the pan, fluting the edge.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in butter, corn syrup, and almond extract. Mix in the apples and almonds.
- Pour into pie crust-lined pan. If desired, top pie with pie crust cut out into decorative shapes, or cut in strips and arranged in a lattice.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the center of the pie is set.