This slow cooker engagement chicken recipe is a must try! As an easy, delicious and potentially romantic dinner option, this dish is packed with so much flavour and is worth making even if a romantic evening isn’t what’s in the cards for you.
Have you ever created a recipe that was so amazing that it could cause someone to propose marriage? Apparently this slow cooker engagement chicken recipe has the power to do just that!
If you’re already engaged, married, or if you’re not looking for either of those, it’s still a tasty crockpot chicken recipe that is worth trying out at home!
Slow cooker chicken recipes are fantastic for making a great, healthy home cooked meal, while not having to sit around watching the food all day long! Plus with this recipe, since you’re baking the whole chicken, it will be able to serve a group of people, or will make for a delicious upgrade to your weeknight leftovers.
Get ready for one of the best slow cooker chicken recipes of your life!
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 whole chicken, giblets and extra pieces removed from the cavity
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- For the gravy:
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups broth, from under the chicken after it’s cooked
- Rinse the chicken, discarding any extra pieces from the inside of the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Create an even layer of the sliced onions on the bottom of the slow cooker and lay the chicken over the onions.
- Place a garlic half on each side of the chicken. Stuff two lemon halves inside of the chicken cavity. The remaining two lemon halves should be placed on each side of the chicken.
- Pour the olive oil over the chicken and rub to completely coat. Combine all of the seasonings and sprinkle over the olive oil.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees between the chicken thigh and breast without touching a bone.
- Remove the chicken and place on a serving platter. Keep warm.
- To make a gravy: Transfer the onions and about two cups of the liquid to a medium skillet. Discard the garlic and lemons.
- Place the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the wine to the chicken renderings and heat until the liquid is hot. Sprinkle in the flour, whisking until thickened.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the onions and gravy.
Why is it called an engagement chicken?
Fun fact: this chicken recipe was originally created by a woman who made it to serve to her boyfriend. Apparently, it was so delicious that her boyfriend ended up proposing to her! So maybe this could be worth making if you’re hoping to move things along with the special someone in your life!
If you’re interested in another slow cooker chicken recipe, then you may enjoy this slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe.
If you’re looking for another large chicken recipe that’s great for the whole family, then this cheesy chicken fajita casserole recipe may be the one for you!
Or if you’re looking to have some fun with an Instant Pot recipe, this bbq chicken legs Instant Pot recipe may be right up your alley!