Dinner is on the table in less than 30 minutes with this easy recipe. Piles of cheese and chicken, with tasty vegetables make this cheesy chicken fajita casserole a must have on your menu plan.
When you have a busy week, making easy meals is always a good thing. You want nutrition, flavor, and quick. Well, have I got just the recipe for you.
This cheesy chicken fajita casserole can be made ahead of time, and stored in the fridge until you are ready to bake. Perfect for those Sunday meal prep days, you can either use precooked chicken, or cook the chicken as you are preparing it.
This cheesy chicken fajita casserole does double duty for being very versatile as well. Some ways to make this all your own:
- If you like your food a bit spicier, you can sub out the bell peppers for jalapeños.
- Change out the chicken breasts for 4 cups of browned hamburger or turkey
- For a meatless meal, swap chicken for firm tofu chunks.
- Try shredded Cheddar for a different flavor as well.
Other recipes you may like:
Ingredients you need:
- Chicken breasts
- Avocado oil
- Bell peppers
- Cream cheese
- Taco seasoning
- Monterrey jack cheese
Side note: I’ve been working to clean up the ingredients we use in our food. One of my favorite ways to do that is by using oils instead of processed ingredients for flavoring. I’d love to share more with you!
Equipment you will need:
How to make this recipe:
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
- Sautee the onions and peppers until softened.
- To the same skillet, add the chicken, (or other meat substitute), cream cheese, and taco seasoning.
- Stir over medium heat until thoroughly combined.
My Go-To Kitchen Tools:
Can this casserole be made ahead of time and frozen?
I have tried to freeze this ahead of time, and it turned out okay. However, the texture changed slightly, as the cream cheese didn’t freeze like the rest of the ingredients. It was still very good, and we enjoyed it.
Can you make this casserole in a crockpot?
Absolutely! You can simply follow the directions to get it prepped, then layer the ingredients in a greased crockpot liner. Bake on low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. Top with cheese, then continue to bake for an additional 30 minutes, until the cheese is all melted.
Are you ready for a quick and easy dinner tonight? Let’s make this cheesy chicken fajita casserole!
Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 4 cups chicken breasts cooked, and shredded
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oiil
- 3 medium bell peppers sliced thin, use colors of choice
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 package cream cheese 8 ounces
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and swirl to coat. Add onions and peppers to skillet, cooking over medium-high heat and stirring occasionally until softened.
To the skillet, add shredded chicken, cream cheese, taco seasoning, and 1 cup cheese.
Stir to combine. Transfer to casserole dish.
Top casserole with remaining cheese.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.