Last Updated on January 20, 2024 by Allison Lancaster
This ravioli casserole recipe is perfect for busy weeknights and can be on the table in under 30 minutes! After a busy day, you may be tempted to run through the drive-thru for a quick and easy dinner. We do it all the time, but sometimes: I just want a home-cooked meal!
We all need some easy recipes that will get us from weekday busyness to dinner with ease. Recipes that we can count on for family-friendly, kid-approved flavor.
Table of Contents
Quick, easy, and even toddler-approved, this ravioli casserole can be on the table in under 30 minutes. I like it for that reason. It’s also a great “make ahead” recipe for Sunday meal prep times.
Simply follow the directions to make, and then cover with foil. Stick it in the fridge and pull it out the night you want to make this. Easy, peasy, and loved by the whole family!
Ravioli Casserole Recipe Ingredients & Substitutions:
Cheese ravioli – You can use beef ravioli or ravioli with a different stuffing for this ravioli bake. Fresh ravioli or frozen can be used in this easy dinner recipe. You may need to adjust the cooking time of your pasta is boiling from frozen.
Ground chuck – Browned and drained. Ground pork or Italian sausage can be used instead.
Marinara sauce – Homemade or store-bought marinara sauce. You can also use another spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes, or a cup pasta sauce of your liking. Alfredo sauce would be a great option if you choose to make a vegetarian version of this casserole.
Shredded mozzarella cheese – You can also use Parmesan cheese or a mild cheddar cheese. Whatever cheese you choose, always shred your cheese as the pre-shredded cheese is coated in a waxy substance that makes it hard to melt.
How To Make This Ravioli Casserole
- You want to start with a package of cheese ravioli. You can get them from the grocery store, or Sam’s Club, if you have one nearby. Fresh or frozen raviolis will work the same in this recipe. Simply cook the ravioli according to package directions.
- Brown your ground beef, drain the fat and mix it with the marinara sauce. Homemade is great here, if you have it, otherwise a jar of store bought sauce is awesome. Most “family size” jars will be enough to have 1 jar for this recipe. If you want to add more sauce, that’s great, too!
- Top with cheese and bake. Serve a tossed salad and crusty bread on the side and you have a great meal in minutes with very little effort! Way to go, YOU!
Serve this ravioli casserole dish with your favorite side of vegetables, garlic bread, side salad. You can also garnish each serving with extra mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, or chopped fresh herbs.
How To Store Ravioli Casserole
Store leftover cheesy baked ravioli casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Once thawed, reheat leftovers in single portions in the microwave or in the oven for larger quantities.
What type of ravioli is best for this ravioli recipe?
I’ve used cheese ravioli for this dish, but you can use ravioli that is stuffed with ground meat or other fillings depending on what is available to you and what flavor of ravioli you prefer.
Do I have to cook the ravioli before baking the casserole?
Yes. Boiling the ravioli pasta before assembling the casserole to bake will ensure that the pasta cooks enough by the end of the recipe cooking time, otherwise you could end up with pieces of undercooked ravioli in the casserole.
How should I cook the ravioli?
I prefer to shave 2 minutes off the recommended cooking time on the packaged directions so that the pasta is al dente. Remember, the ravioli will continue to cook when the casserole is baked for 20 minutes.
Can I add a kick of heat to this dish?
Absolutely! The great thing about this casserole is how easy it is to adjust to suit your taste preferences. To add a kick of heat to this casserole, consider adding some red pepper flakes to the meat sauce or adding some diced jalapenos to make an enchilada casserole.
Does this dish need seasoning?
The simple ingredients in this recipe provide ample flavor to the dish, but you could include Italian seasoning, garlic salt, black pepper, or another seasoning that you enjoy in your pasta bakes.
Other Pasta Dinner Ideas
- Quick One-Pot Lemon Pasta Recipe
- Venison Lasagna
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Cheesy Taco Casserole
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe for ravioli casserole! If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment letting me know how you liked it. And if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I love hearing from you!
Ravioli Casserole Recipe:
- Package of cheesy ravioli, uncooked.
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 24 oz. jar of marinara sauce.
- 1 lb. ground chuck.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the cooked ground beef and marinara sauce. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle about 1 cup sauce into the bottom of the baking dish to create an even layer.
- Add a layer of ravioli, sauce, and mozzarella, topping with sauce and reserving a small amount of mozzarella.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and return to oven. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through and the cheese has melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g