Mac and cheese is a classic comfort food that never goes out of style. It’s perfect for a winter meal when you need something warm and filling to eat. This recipe takes a few minutes to prepare, and then the crockpot does all the work for you. In just a little bit, you’ll have a delicious and hearty dish that everyone will love.
You may even want to give my Easy Fried Mac and Cheese Recipe a try! SO GOOD!
Easy Family Dinners
For once, you can have an easy family dinner and not have to worry about it! Ever since I was little, mac and cheese has been one of my favorite recipes. I think my mom would make it because it was an easy recipe and she knew I was going to eat it! I think your family will enjoy this recipe just as much as I did when I was a kid.
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Mac and Cheese
- Elbow noodles – You’ll need elbow noodles to make this homemade mac and cheese.
- Milk – You cannot make homemade macaroni and cheese without milk.
- Sharp cheddar cheese (block) – When it comes to making homemade mac and cheese, sharp cheddar cheese is the winner.
- Gouda cheese – What makes this recipe so awesome? Gouda cheese of course!
- Seasonings – For this crockpot mac and cheese, you’re going to need garlic powder, pepper, and salt.
How to Make Easy Mac and Cheese
- Line your crockpot with a liner.
- Make sure the cheese you’re using is shredded.
- Cook noodles according to the directions on the recipe card.
- Add milk, cheese, and seasonings as directed.
- Cook in the crockpot for 30 minutes, stir, allow it to finish cooking for another 15 minutes, and then serve!
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, you can use a different type of cheese if you’d like. However, the recipe will taste different than what’s listed.
Can I cook this homemade mac and cheese on the stove?
The answer is yes! If you don’t have a crockpot and want to cook it on the stove, then you can!
Variations of Homemade Mac and Cheese
- Add a topping – While this option isn’t for everyone, it’s a great option for those who are trying to spice up their mac and cheese a little bit. Adding bacon bits, avocado, or even a little shredded parmesan cheese is a good idea.
- Add a protein option – Without a doubt, adding in a protein option is a good idea! Pulled pork or seasoned ground beef are both options. You could even add grilled chicken on top of this mac and cheese.
- Bake the mac and cheese – For an added flavor option, try baking the mac and cheese when you’re done with it in the crockpot. Baking it will make the cheese even more melted.
If you’re looking for a comfort food, then you’ve found it. I could make this meal any time of the year and be okay with it! The best part is, the crockpot does all the work for you! You can even customize this recipe by adding in your favorite toppings or protein options.
More Pasta Options
Mac and cheese is a classic comfort food that never goes out of style. It's perfect for a winter meal when you need something warm and filling to eat. This recipe takes a few minutes to prepare, and then the crockpot does all the work for you. In just a little bit, you'll have a delicious and hearty dish that everyone will love.
- 1 pound elbow noodles
- 2 cups milk, 2%
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (block)
- 4 ounces gouda cheese (block)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup butter cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cooking spray or crockpot liner
- Either line your crockpot with a liner, or spray with cooking spray.
- Shred both of the cheeses.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and boil, then add noodles, boil for 6 minutes, and drain.
- Toss the noodles with olive oil, then add to the crockpot.
- Add milk and stir.
- Add shredded cheeses and seasonings. Stir well to combine.
- Arrange cubed butter on top of the macaroni mixture.
- Cook on low for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and stir well.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes, stir and serve hot.