Last Updated on January 20, 2024 by Allison Lancaster
Halloween season is right around the corner, which means it’s time for sweet treats with a Halloween twist! Even though we don’t really do much for Halloween in our house, we do usually have some fun snacks and dress the kids up. This monster Halloween popcorn is an easy and fun family favorite around here. I know you’ll love this chewy caramel Halloween popcorn recipe as much as we do.
Table of Contents
This easy Halloween treat can be whipped up in minutes with minimal ingredients – perfect for fun Halloween treats to keep hungry kids and adults satisfied at Halloween parties!
It’s also great for movie night or as a Halloween popcorn gift this spooky season that can be handed out in treat bags. Just put some in a small paper grocery bag (lunch size) with a colorful string around the top for a spooky Halloween popcorn gift anyone would love!
Since we’re using a microwave to make our popcorn and heat our chocolate, this recipe is so quick and easy. You don’t have to worry about a dangerous candy thermometer or stirring over a hot stove.
Just melt, mix, pour, and stir! It’s a quick way to make delicious Halloween treats or popcorn snack mix all year long.
Halloween Popcorn Ingredients & Substitutions:
Large Bag of Pop Corn – You can use store-bought popcorn or pop popcorn at home for this spooky popcorn recipe. You can use light butter, extra butter or any flavor you choose. Personally, I prefer the light butter since you are adding the sauce and sweet toppings to the popcorn.
Caramel Sauce – Use store-bought caramel sauce or make your own. I prefer the Hershey’s store-bought version.
Black Sprinkles – An assortment of colorful Halloween sprinkles can also be used. If you want to make this festive popcorn any other time of year, you can add in any color sprinkles you want. Red and green are perfect for a festive Christmas snack!
Melting Chocolate – I’ve used orange and black candy melts in this crunchy treat. You could also use melted white chocolate or melted white chocolate chips for white chocolate popcorn. Feel free to use other colored melting chocolate when making this fun treat for other occasions.
How To Make Halloween Popcorn
- To get started, use the popcorn button on your microwave to cook your bagged popcorn. If you don’t have a popcorn button, just cook for 2-3 minutes or until there are about 3-4 seconds between pops. you can also use an air popper or make popcorn over an open flame if that’s the way your family likes to make crunchy caramel candy corn.
- Once your popcorn is popped, pour it onto a cookie sheet or in a roasting pan if you’re worried about it escaping from the cookie pan. Remove any unpopped popcorn kernels and set them aside.
- Next, you’ll need to warm up the caramel slightly so it’s easy to mix. I just do this in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. You don’t want it to be too hot, or it will saturate your popcorn mixture, but you want it warm enough that it can be drizzled over the cooked microwave popcorn easily.
- After the caramel is warmed, drizzle the caramel over the popcorn and use a rubber spatula to stir everything around until it’s evenly coated.
- Warm the melting chocolates in a glass bowl in the microwave using 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until they’re melted and smooth.
- Using a spatula, drizzle the melted chocolate, back and forth over the popcorn until it’s covered to your liking. Next, sprinkle on some Halloween candy sprinkles.
- Let the chocolate cool and harden for a bit, then enjoy!
Depending on your child’s age and your family’s preferences, this perfect treat can be made spookier by adding candy eyes or gummy worms to your easy microwave caramel corn.
Depending on which type of candy you use, you’ll want to adjust when you add the treats so you don’t end up with a big sticky mess.
You could also use your favorite football team’s colors instead of the orange and black melting chocolates for a delicious tailgate treat. There’s no shortage of ideas to take plain popcorn to new levels with creative add-ins.
Here are a few more to try:
- Add some pretzels to the mix for a little salty-sweet action.
- Mix in some chopped nuts or crushed Oreo cookies for some crunch.
- Sprinkle on some ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for a fall twist.
- Get creative with your chocolate and try white or milk chocolate instead.
- Use colored candy melts (such as green candy melt) or chocolate chips in team colors for a fun twist.
- Add colorful M&M candies that match your movie’s theme for a yummy salty sweet treat.
- Add mini marshmallows for delicious gooey marshmallow popcorn balls.
How To Store Halloween Popcorn
Be sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days so it stays fresh and delicious. The popcorn will start to soften the longer it’s stored.
What kind of popcorn works best for this Halloween popcorn mix?
Any kind of popcorn will work for this recipe, but I prefer to use white popcorn because it has a more delicate flavor that lets the caramel and chocolate shine through. You can use pre-popped popcorn or pop your own kernels using an air popper or stovetop method.
Why is my chocolate clumping?
Use a rubber spatula to stir the caramel corn as you drizzle on the melted chocolate. This will help prevent the chocolate from hardening too quickly and making clumps.
How long should I cook popcorn?
Microwave ovens vary, so cook your popcorn for the minimum time specified in the recipe, then check it and cook for additional time if needed. You don’t want to overcook and end up with burnt popcorn. This easy microwave caramel corn recipe is a delicious and simple way to enjoy a fall favorite with just a few ingredients and a little bit of time.
Make sure your popcorn is completely popped before adding the caramel sauce. Otherwise, you’ll end up with uncooked kernels in your finished product.
Can I make my own caramel sauce?
Yes, you can! If you’ve made your own caramel sauce, make sure to warm it slightly before adding it to the popcorn. This will make it easier to mix and ensure that it coats all of the kernels evenly.
Other Bite-Size Holiday Treats
There are so many ways to enjoy this easy caramel corn recipe, the sky’s the limit for this microwave recipe! Be sure to let us know how you like to enjoy your caramel corn in the comments below. And if you’re looking for more fall recipes, be sure to check out our collection of easy recipes perfect for the season.
I’d love to hear how you enjoy this fun and easy caramel monster popcorn! Happy Fall!
Halloween Popcorn Recipe
- 1 Large Bag Popcorn
- 1 Bottle Caramel Topping
- 3 tbsp Black Sprinkles
- 5 tbsp Orange Melting Chocolate
- 5 tbsp Black Melting Chocolate
- 1 Large Cookie Sheet
- Start by preparing your bag of popcorn and dumping it out onto your cookie sheet.
- Drizzle your caramel all over your popcorn.
- Next melt down your orange and black chocolate in the microwave, in 45 second intervals.
- After adding your caramel, add your orange and black sprinkles.
- Once your chocolate is ready drizzle popcorn with black and orange chocolate.
- Let chocolate harden.
- You can either serve on the cookie sheet, or place popcorn into a bowl using a spatula.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel 17 1/4 x12 1/4 x1
WHYSKO Meal Prep Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls Set, Home, Refrigerator, and Kitchen Food Storage Organizers | Ecofriendly, Reusable, Heavy Duty
Godinger Glass Nesting Bowls Set, Dish Bowl Set - Dublin Collection, Set of 3
DOWAN Ceramic Cereal Bowls, 23 Oz Vibrant Color Dessert Bowls for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Kitchen, Soup Bowl Set for Pasta, Salad, Ice Cream and Oatmeal, Set of 6