Last Updated on January 20, 2024 by Allison Lancaster
Make your family and friends smile this year with this easy Christmas cookie cake. All the flavors of the holiday come alive in one simple dessert! Simply combine a store-bought cookie mix and voila: an easy Christmas dessert recipe!
Table of Contents
Christmas Tradition of Baking Cookies
Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. All the decorating, baking, and even the busyness of shopping for gifts and gathering with close friends and family.
Seeing the kids’ eyes light up every morning when we turn the lights on the Christmas tree is 100% worth it.
My favorite tradition that we do every Christmas is to make Christmas cookies! This Christmas Cookie Cake is a fun spin on Christmas cookies, and it’s toddler-friendly! It’s the perfect recipe because it is easy to decorate, and it’s large enough that they don’t get frustrated by not getting sprinkles ON the cookie. Mom win!
Christmas Cookie Cake Ingredients & Substitutions:
- Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix: I highly recommend using a name-brand cookie mix for this cookie cake. I have used other brands and the name brand just sets up better as the cookie cake base.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter for this recipe. Salted butter can change the flavor of your cookie cake.
- Egg: I use large eggs anytime I’m baking unless the recipe specifically calls for something else.
- Holiday Sprinkles: I love these Christmas sprinkles from Wilton that you can purchase on Amazon. If you are making this for another holiday you can use other decorations as you see fit.
- Candy to Top The Cake: I prefer to grab holiday M&Ms and Hershey’s kisses but feel free to use any other kind of candy you like!
Equipment Needed to Make Sugar Cookie Cake
- Mixer: I highly recommend a stand mixer for this recipe. Let it do the work for you!
- Springform Pan: This will make your cookie cake set up in the perfect round shape!
- Parchment Paper: You for sure want to use this to ensure your cookie cake doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Frosting Knife: A must for decorating. I’ve also been known to use a butter knife but having a frosting knife on hand is a good idea.
- Frosting Bag & Tip: You can also use a Ziploc bag with the very end cut off but a frosting bag & tip will ensure better results when decorating.
How to Make Christmas Cookie Cake
- Preheat oven and prepare your 9-inch springform pan.
- Combine cookie mix, egg and butter and mix until cookie dough forms. Stir in sprinkles.
- Press cookie batter in bottom of pan, and bake until lightly golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Prepare frosting and frost top of cookie cake. Place assorted candies on top of the frosting.
Enjoy a slice of this holiday cookie cake as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This delicious cookie cake is perfect for your holiday party alongside other Christmas desserts.
How to Store Christmas Cookie Cake
Well, to be honest, I have never had to deal with leftovers with this cookie cake. But, if you have some, store them in an airtight container or plastic wrap on the counter for up to 3 days.
Can I make this with a homemade sugar cookie recipe?
Of course you can! I love the quick and easy use of a packaged cookie mix, but feel free to use your favorite homemade sugar cookie recipe as well.
What kind of candy can I put on top of my Christmas Cookie Cake ?
There are many ways to switch up this recipe. For example, cover your cookie cake in cream cheese frosting and add on green sprinkles or M&Ms that are Christmas colors for a festive look. If you’re looking for a way to decorate your cookie cake
You can also make this cookie cake for other holidays, or just because. Add Hershey’s Kisses, white chocolate chips, holiday themed sprinkles and you can even change the icing color for a different look.
Can I turn this recipe into a holiday cake recipe?
Of course! Nothing says “happy holidays” like a Christmas cake. Instead of making a huge cookie cake, make a festive cake using a boxed cake mix. I recommend using a box of cake mix like chocolate cake mix, yellow cake mix or white cake mix. Each of these are crowd-pleasers and you can cover them up with your frosting, candy, and decorations.
Can I make this ahead and freeze?
Yes! That is one of my favorite things about this recipe! Make the cookie part ahead of time, cool completely, then wrap in freezer paper or aluminum foil and freeze for up to 6 weeks.
When you are ready to serve this, make the frosting, and frost the frozen cookie, and decorate as usual. Simply allow to sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours before serving so the cookie thaws enough to cut.
Other Easy Holiday Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Christmas Tree Brownies
- Grinch Marshmallow Pops
- Rudolph’s Snowman Cups
- Chocolate Cut Out Sugar Cookies
I hope you enjoy this Christmas cake mix cookies recipe! If you try this easy treat, please come back and leave me a comment letting me know how you liked it. And if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I love hearing from you!
Christmas Cookie Cake Recipe:
- 1 Package Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix - Not the XL Size
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 Cup Holiday Sprinkles
- 1/2 Cup Candy to Top The Cake
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 5-7 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 9 or 10 inch springform pan by spraying the bottom with a non-stick spray.
- In a stand mixer, combine the cookie mix, egg and butter and mix until soft dough forms. This process took 3-5 minutes for it to turn into dough.
- Stir in the ¼ cup holiday sprinkles by hand.
- Press the cookie dough mixture into the bottom of your pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown; don’t let it get too brown.
- Cool completely and prepare the frosting.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter. Slowly start to add in the powdered sugar until it’s all added in. Mix in the heavy cream by tablespoons, adding one at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Frost the cooled cookie cake, top with some sprinkles and candies, then pipe along the sides and top with more candies. Cut and serve! Best stored in an airtight container on the countertop.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 0gSugar: 36gProtein: 2g