From snowmen to trees, these cutout chocolate cut out sugar cookies are adorable and so fun to make!
What’s your favorite part of the holidays? For our family, it is the decorations, the lights, and the wrapped gifts under the tree. This year, we are wanting to focus more on being in the moment.
What does that mean? More presence, less presents. Sure, I know that sounds cliche, but it’s the truth. We want our kids to have the happy memories of US being there for them over the memories of getting a new toy.
One of our new favorite traditions is making cookies together. These gingerbread men sugar cookies are a fun way to spend some hands on time with your kids. All of us can get into the spirit of the holidays while having a lot of fun.
Even a toddler can “help” with a bit of their own sugar cookie dough and a plastic cookie cutter. I think this is the best chocolate sugar cookie recipe to make cut out shapes like a gingerbread man with.
Do I need a stand mixer with this?
Well, no. But, to be honest, creaming the butter and sugar together until it’s light and fluffy is much easier with a mixer versus a spoon and mixing bowl. This is one that I have in my kitchen (affiliate link) and I love it!
How do I make this great recipe, then?
Start off by adding the dry ingredients into a bowl. Gently stir together to combine, then set aside. Cream butter and sugar together, then add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry into wet, and mix until just combined.
Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 2 hours for best results.
When you are ready, roll out dough to 1/4-” thick and cut out into desired shapes. Bake in preheated oven and allow to cool. Decorate as desired.
Here are some decorating ideas:
Tips for making your cookies:
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the baking sheet. This allows the firmer texture for decorating, without burning from overbaking.
- Want to make reindeer? Simply turn your gingerbread man upside down!
- Try different sizes and shapes of cookies, stacked with a bit of icing in between for a new treat.
- Use ribbon to tie cookies together for beautiful gift giving.
Will you make these chocolate sugar cookies this holiday?
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and then vanilla.
Slowly add flour mixture and beat just until combined.
- Remove dough from bowl to waxed paper or plastic wrap. Shape into a square, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness and cut using cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes until edges are set. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Cool completely before decorating as desired.