Last Updated on January 22, 2024 by Allison Lancaster
Ooey, gooey, chocolately treats that are so simple to make! Just a few ingredients and these chocolate marshmallow bars will be ready for a delicious dessert!
Table of Contents
Do you crave the rice krispy bars from childhood? That marshmallow-y goodness and the crisp of the rice cereal brings back so many memories for me. Of course, I wanted to share that with my kids. Here is what we came up with. A new twist, adding loads of yummy chocolate, a shortbread type crust, and loads of yumminess!
These chocolate marshmallow bars are easy to fix, and only take a few simple ingredients. I’ll be willing to bet that you have most of them on hand already!
Chocolate Marshmallow Bars Ingredients & Substitutions:
For the Bars
Unsalted butter – softened at room temperature.
Granulated sugar – Light brown sugar can also be used, but I haven’t tried dark brown sugar which could change the flavor. Corn syrup is a good alternative to using sugar.
Large eggs – Also at room temperature.
All purpose flour – Use gluten-free flour instead for dietary needs.
Unsweetened cocoa – Sweetened cocoa will make these homemade candy bars overly sweet.
Marshmallow fluff – A key ingredient in these marshmallow treats!
For the Topping
Semi-sweet chocolate chips -I’ve used semisweet chocolate chips, but you could use milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or combine chocolate chips.
Miniature marshmallows – If you don’t have mini marshmallows, use regular marshmallows, cut down in size.
Unsalted butter – Softened at room temperature.
Rice crispy cereal – Rice Krispies are the best for these treats, but another crunchy cereal could also be used. Crumbled Graham crackers could also be used for crunchy texture.
How To Make Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
- Preheat the oven and prepare the baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Using a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add it to the wet ingredients until combined. Spread in the bottom of the pan.
- Place pan in the oven and bake, then remove the baking pan from the oven and cool slightly.
- Prepare the gooey marshmallows topping and then spoon it over the bottom crust, working quickly.
- Chill until the top is set.
Equipment You’ll Need
Serve these delicious chocolate marshmallow bars for dessert alongside ice cream, pack it for picnics or lunch box fillers, or add it to a sweet board for parties. One of these bars would also be a scrumptious sweet treat with you coffee!
How To Store Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
They are best stored in an airtight container on the countertop. If you stick them back in the fridge, they may harden and be too hard to eat. However, if you want to keep them longer, they can freeze. Just thaw on the counter before eating.
What else can I add to these chocolate marshmallow bars?
Chopped nuts, sliced maraschino cherries, crispy chocolate candy, melted peanut butter, Graham cracker crumbs, and butterscotch chips, are a few ideas of additional add-ins and ingredients that you can use to easily adapt these treats.
How do I prevent these lovely bars from sticking to the sides of the pan?
Spray your pan with cooking spray or line your sheet pan with wax paper or foil to prevent the marshmallow layer from sticking to the sides of the pan. Allow for some extra overhang on both sides of the prepared pan that can be used as handles to remove the bars easily.
What size pan works best for this marshmallow recipe?
I’ve used a 15x10x1 baking sheet, but you could use something smaller, like a 9×13. If you use a smaller pan, adjust the baking time to ensure that the chocolate marshmallow bars are cooked through.
Can I use a cake mix for the base of these bars?
Absolutely! The ingredients used are the same as what you’d expect from a chocolate cake mix. You will still need to add liquids, such as melted butter, hot water, or anything else that the cake mix lists
More Delicious Dessert Bars
- Easy German Chocolate Bars
- Brownie Bottom Bars
- Tropical Magic Bars
- Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Apple Pecan Pie Bars
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 6 Ingredient Lemon Bars
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe for chocolate marshmallow bars! If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment letting me know how you liked it. And if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I love hearing from you!
Chocolate Marshmallow Bars Recipe
- For the bars
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 7 ounce tub marshmallow fluff
- For the topping
- 1 1/3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups minature marshmallows
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups rice crispy cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 15x10x1 baking sheet by lining it with foil and spraying the foil with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until it’s just combined. Add in the eggs, mixing between each addition. Then, add in the vanilla and mix until combined.
- In another bowl,whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Slowly add it to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Once the cake is done cooking, immediately spread the marshmallow fluff all over the top. The heat will help the fluff spread. Cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, prepare the topping by adding the chocolate chips,marshmallows and butter to a saucepan and melting it over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the rice crispies until completely coated.
- Spoon or scoop the topping onto the fluff layer and carefully spread it all over the top. Move kind of quickly as the topping will harden up if not spread quickly.
- Chill in the fridge until the top is set. Cut into bars and serve! Store in an airtight container at room temperature.