Last Updated on October 4, 2023 by Allison Lancaster
The holidays are here, but if you’re tired of making and baking the same old cakes, then this Buttercream Christmas Wreath Cake is for you! This cake is created with a red velvet cake mix, vanilla frosting, vanilla flavoring, and a few other ingredients – it all mixes together to create an unforgettable holiday cake!
Table of Contents
This red velvet Christmas cake is by far one of my favorite Christmas desserts that I make each year. It’s such a quick and simple recipe and it looks beautiful on any holiday table.
It’s covered in a beautiful green frosting, and holiday sprinkles and has a bowl of peppermints in the center of the cake. What screams “Merry Christmas!” more than this holiday wreath cake?
Red Velvet Wreath Cake
The fact that you can make a red velvet cake that looks like a wreath is amazing. You will ooh and ahh your guests this year because the cake will be beautiful.
Not only does it work as an awesome centerpiece this holiday season, but it’s full of holiday flavor!
What is a Christmas Wreath Cake?
A wreath cake is simply a cake that is decorated to look like a Christmas wreath. Most people put wreaths on their front doors, but they are so pretty to just leave them at that.
I personally love Christmas wreath-shaped foods including this cake and my Christmas Wreath Charcuterie Board.
You can make an edible wreath this holiday season; it’s just in the form of a cake! Cakes bring so much joy, and this Red Velvet Christmas Wreath Cake is no exception.
Ingredients Used in Buttercream Christmas Wreath Cake
- Red Velvet Mix: You’ll need this boxed cake mix to help you make this delicious cake. You can also opt for another type of cake mix such as vanilla, chocolate or yellow. You don’t have to use red velvet for this recipe but I do think it adds a festive flare.
- Eggs: When you are making a yummy cake, you’ll need eggs! Be sure to let your eggs come to room temperature before mixing them into your batter.
- Vanilla Extract: When you add vanilla flavoring to this cake, you will be amazed at the taste! You can also add a teaspoon of almond extract.
- Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting: Yes, for this cake, you get to choose which kind of frosting you prefer! I love cream cheese frosting with red velvet so I usually opt for that.
- Buttercream or Store Bought Icing: A simple ingredient that will make this cake so amazing! Depending on how much time you have, I would suggest opting for making your own buttercream frosting.
Equipment Needed to Make This Cake
Every good cake needs a little help making it. You can make this Christmas Wreath Cake even better if you have the right tools. Here is the equipment needed to make this cake.
- Hand or Stand Mixer with Large Bowl and paddle attachment. I prefer my Kitchenaid Stand mixer for this recipe
- Piping Bag
- Cake Board
Make sure you check out the recipe card for the full list of equipment needed to make this cake.
How to Make a Red Velvet Christmas Wreath Cake
- Make the cake mix as directed.
- Bake the cake as directed.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack until room temperature and cut off any excess cake.
- Release the cake from the pan.
- Place cake in the freezer for 4-6 hours. This is highly important to ensure you don’t end up with crumbs in your cake icing.
- Put the cake on the cake board and decorate as instructed.
Pro Tips on Making a Buttercream Christmas Wreath Cake
- Make sure to freeze the cake to eliminate having crumbs in your icing.
- Be sure to add sprinkles immediately after piping stars to the top of the cake.
- This cake can be made in any flavor, so be as creative as you want with this cake!
- Using a serrated knife is the easiest way to cut off the excess cake without making a mess.
How do you make homemade white buttercream frosting?
All you need are three cups of powdered sugar, one cup of unsalted butter, one teaspoon of vanilla extract, and one to two tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.
Add butter and sugar into a stand mixer and set your mixer speed on low speed until they’re blended well and then stir on medium speed for three minutes.
Then, add in your vanilla and heavy cream, and mix on medium for one more.
if you’re looking to make green buttercream, you simply add in green food coloring. Same with adding in red food color to make red frosting.
How do I store leftover Buttercream Christmas Cake?
You can either place your leftover cake in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap for up to a week.
Other Cakes to Try
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Cookie Cups
- The Easiest Christmas Cookie Cake Ever
- The Easiest Coconut Cake Recipe Ever
Buttercream Christmas Wreath Cake Recipe
The holidays are here, but if you're tired of making and baking the same old cakes, then this Buttercream Christmas Wreath Cake is for you! This cake is created with a red velvet cake mix, vanilla frosting, vanilla flavoring, and a few other ingredients – it all mixes together to create an unforgettable holiday cake!
- Red velvet mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla
- Vanilla or cream cheese frosting Non stick spray
- Buttercream or store bought icing
- Spray large round donut cake or bundt pan with non stick spray and set aside
- Add cake mix, oil, water, eggs and vanilla to a bowl
- Mix until well incorporated 3-4 min
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 mins
- Let cake cool completely.
- Cut off any excess cake with a serrated knife
- Release from cake pan, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 4-6 hours
- Remove from freezer, unwrap and place cake on cake board
- Dye buttercream green.
- Ice the sides of the cake in green buttercream.
- Add remaining buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a triple star tip.
- Add star stop decoration around the top of the cake giving it texture.
- Add sprinkles
- Optional: For the bow. I used ribbon and glue dots to hold them together just for presentation. Remove before serving.
- Be sure to freeze the cake to eliminate having crumbs in your icing.
- Add sprinkles immediately after piping stars to the top of the cake.
- This cake be done in any flavor
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g