In the mood for a delicious Italian cream cake but not really in the mood to spend hours baking? This Italian Cream cake is made using a cake mix. The best part? It’s so decadent they’ll never know you didn’t make it from scratch!
Can I tell you a secret? Until 2021 I had never had an Italian Cream Cake. I know…shocker! I am a HUGE fan of all things coconut though and when my mom’s birthday was coming up, I knew I wanted to bake her cake this year. She loves coconut about as much as I do, so I thought her birthday would be the perfect time to make her an Italian Cream Cake.
The only problem? Most Italian Cream Cake recipes call for sifting flour and all of those other things that most busy moms don’t have the time for. The solution? Use a white cake mix, add a few special ingredients and viola! Italian Cream Cake so good they’ll never know it wasn’t made from scratch!
What type of cake mix should I use?
I personally used the store brand white cake mix. You can use any brand of white cake mix that you prefer, one is no better than the other in my opinion! You’ll be adding the ‘special ingredients’ in to take your cake to the next level.
How far in advance can I make this?
I made mine the day before. I just had some extra time before my mom’s birthday so I thought, “why not?”. The cake held up perfectly and honestly I think the extra time gave the flavors a bit of time to settle into the cake. I wouldn’t make it any more than 2 days ahead of time though.
How do I store this Italian Cream Cake?
I personally stored mine in my handy dandy cake keeper that I’ve had for years. I would store in a cool area since the icing has cream cheese in it.
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk (or heavy cream)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 -1/2 cup toasted pecans for garnish
- 1 -1/2 cup toasted coconut for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, vegetable oil and coconut oil together in a large mixer until smooth (be careful not to over mix!
- While mixing, add 1/2 cup of coconut flakes & 1/2 cup chopped pecans to a baking sheet and put in oven while preheating to toast both coconut & pecans (this step is optional but I highly recommend it!). Toast in oven for 5-10 minutes, turning with a spatula ever 1-2 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add in toasted pecans and coconut flakes to batter, fold into batter with a spatula.
- Spray 2-9" round cake pans with non-stick spray. Divide batter in 1/2 and pour into the pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick in the center of each cake and it comes out clean.
- Cook both layers for 20 minutes on counter.
- Remove layers from cake pans and let cool for 60 minutes on wire racks.
- While oven is still hot, add coconut & pecans for garnish for top of cake into oven and toast them following the same steps above (#3).
Italian Cream Cake Frosting:
- Allow butter and cream cheese to come to room temperature until softened.
- Mix together cream cheese and butter until well mixed
- Add in powdered sugar (1/3 cup at a time), mixing until well combined
- Add vanilla & almond extracts
- Add 1/2 cup of toasted pecans and 1/2 cup of coconut to icing, fold in until well combined
- Add frosting to cake. Garnish with remaining toasted coconut & pecans