Last Updated on September 15, 2023 by Allison Lancaster
Prepare a relaxing and comforting meal with this easy recipe for Leftover Turkey Soup. This soup is full of flavor and is perfect to eat on a cold day when you want to warm yourself up as quickly as possible.
We all know that not only are Thanksgiving leftovers the best, but you’ll also be eating them for the rest of the week. This delicious leftover turkey soup recipe has a great flavor and is a great way to use your leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
With the right ingredients and a bit of time, you can have this soup ready to serve! It’s the perfect meal to have for lunch or dinner. And you can serve it with some buttery crackers, biscuits, or leftover dinner rolls as a finishing touch.
Easily use your slow cooker or instant pot for this year’s Thanksgiving dinner.
Table of Contents
Simple Leftover Turkey Soup
Who needs canned soup when you can prepare homemade, flavorful soup from scratch?
It may sound like a challenge, but this Leftover Turkey Soup makes the process of preparing such a flavorful and comforting dish a breeze.
Why You’ll Love the Crockpot Turkey and Rice Soup
- It’s such a simple meal to make. With only a few ingredients and a bit of your time, you can toss everything into the slow cooker, let it cook on high or low, and enjoy it when it’s ready.
- The soup is delicious! It’s much better than any canned soup you might’ve consumed in the past.
- It’s a healthy soup! You’re preparing a naturally healthy meal consisting of turkey and fresh vegetables that tastes good and is also good for you.
Leftover Turkey Soup Recipe Tips
- If you don’t have turkey stock or can’t find it, you can use vegetable broth or chicken broth as a substitute.
- When you want to make the soup at a faster pace, put it on high and let it cook for four hours. If you want it to cook slowly, put it on low and leave it for six to eight hours.
- Serve your savory soup with buttered crackers, garlic bread, croutons, or any other extras!
The Ingredients You’ll Need to Prepare the Crockpot Turkey and Rice Soup
Make sure you have the right ingredients to make the Crockpot Turkey and Rice Soup, such as:
- Cooked Turkey: Shred the cooked turkey or chop it into pieces before you add it to your slow cooker.
- Carrots: Peel and chop the carrots before you use them.
- Celery Stalks: Chop your celery into thin pieces to add flavor to this incredible soup.
- Turkey Broth: Use turkey broth as the base of your soup!
In addition to these ingredients, you’ll also need some salt, pepper, rubbed sage, and long-grain white rice.
Watch the Video For this Crockpot Turkey and Rice Soup
Do I have to cook the turkey beforehand?
Yes, you’ll need to cook the turkey beforehand and then shred it or chop it into pieces.
If you want to save yourself some time, you can buy a pre-cooked roasted turkey to use when making this soup. You can also make your turkey breast in the instant pot.
Can I use leftover turkey in this soup?
Absolutely! This is a wonderful dish for all of the leftover turkey meat from Thanksgiving!
Can I add more vegetables to this leftover turkey soup recipe?
Absolutely! If you’d like to add more vegetables to this soup, feel free to do so.
Peas and corn are an excellent addition to the meal that will taste good with the flavorful broth, turkey, and rice.
How do I make this easy leftover turkey soup recipe thicker?
If you want to have a thick and creamy soup, add the rice into the slow cooker after adding all your other ingredients. On the other hand, if you prefer a thinner soup, be sure to add the rice in the last 20 minutes. It will still cook, but it won’t soak up as much of the liquid, leaving you with a brothy and flavorful soup to enjoy.
How do I store leftover turkey soup?
It’s super easy to store your leftover soup. Just place it in an airtight container or jar, and then place it in the fridge for up to a week.
You can also freeze this recipe and eat it later. It will stay in your freezer for about three months.
Prepare a relaxing and comforting meal with this easy recipe for Crockpot Turkey and Rice Soup. This soup is full of flavor and is perfect to eat on a cold day when you want to warm yourself up as quickly as possible.
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped or shredded
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 64 oz turkey broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- Chop or shred your turkey.
- Peel and chop the carrots.
- Chop the celery.
- Add turkey, carrots, and celery to the crockpot.
- Add spices and turkey broth.
- You may add the rice now, for a thicker broth; or wait if you want more of a liquid broth.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
**If you choose to wait on the rice, add it 20 minutes before your soup should be done.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 1271mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g