A trip to the grocery store for most families results in a bunch of plastic bags to deal with. Do you recycle them, reuse them, and if you keep them how do you store them? Today I have a solution that will help keep your space organized with a plastic bag holder that you can easily make in less than an hour.
No More Plastic Bag Clutter
All those grocery bags can add up to a big mess. When you save them to use again they can wind up all over the place creating massive amounts of clutter. Making a plastic grocery bag holder out of a plastic coffee container is not only a better way to keep them all organized, but a great way to reduce waste.
This is an easy, DIY plastic bag storage for keeping bags under control and at your fingertips when you need them.
How to Make a Plastic Bag Holder
Make a DIY plastic bag holder to keep in your home, your car or even your office. You never know when they will come in handy!
Plus, you have the added benefit of organized spaces! It’s a total win-win!
Items you need:
- Large plastic coffee can with lid
- Grocery bags
- Sharp scissors or knife
- Flatten bags and gather together at the bottom. Pull handles up so they are ‘open’.
- Make small “X” in the lid of your can.
- Stuff the bag into the coffee can (or wipes container), leaving only the handles out.
- Pull the next flattened bag through the handles of the one in the container. Fold bottom of the new bag over the previous bag’s handles.
- Stuff new bag into the container and start the process over until your container is full!
Plastic Bag Storage Ideas
One of the best things about this plastic bag holder project is that it can be used for so many other items. You can also spray paint the outside of the holder to match your home décor and even label them with permanent vinyl letters.
You’ll want to make several plastic coffee containers:
- Wipes Container- Storing homemade hand wipes
- Car Snack Kit – A car “emergency” snack kit for keeping healthy snacks available for road trips or long afterschool activity nights.
- Dirty diaper trash bag holder – If you are using these for diapers or other soiled items, you can add a few drops of essential oils (any scent) to the bottom of the container. The bags will come out smelling fresh and keep the bad scent locked in longer!
- Dog duty bag holder – Just grab a plastic bag and start scooping!
- Lego holder – Make a holder for travelling in the car. It’ll help keep the mess at bay.
- Tissue holder – Car sized tissue holders only hold a few tissues and that can be a problem during allergy season. Make a plastic coffee container tissue holder for ease of access during car trips.
As you can see there are many uses for this plastic bag storage idea making it an invaluable tool in keeping your space organized. With just a few items and a bit of time, this DIY plastic bag holder becomes the perfect place to store your bags so they are out of sight and within reach when you need them.
What are some ways you use your grocery bags around the house? I’d love to hear about them. Let me know if you decide to use this idea and don’t forget to to us @LovingLiving Lancaster!