Fall is right around the corner, which means it’s time for sweet treats with a Halloween twist! Even though we don’t really do much for Halloween in our house, we do usually have some fun snacks and dress the kids up. This caramel monster popcorn is an easy peasy & fun family favorite around here. I know you’ll love this chewy caramel corn recipe just as much as we do.
Easy Caramel Corn Recipe
First of all, you’re going to want to make a big batch of this sweet caramel corn. Not only is it the best caramel corn, it saves nicely and if you include the kids in the process, you’ll have such great memories of whipping up this yummy treat together.
It doesn’t take a long time to make so you can make a batch in the afternoon to enjoy during your movie night, or make it ahead of time if you’re sharing with friends. It makes a great gift for any big fan of caramel popcorn. Just put some in a small paper grocery bag (lunch size) with a colorful string around the top for a gooey caramel corn gift anyone would love!
Easy Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Since we’re using a microwave to make our popcorn and heat our chocolate, this recipe is so quick and easy. You don’t have to worry about any dangerous candy thermometer or stirring over a hot stove. Just melt, mix, pour and stir! It’s a quick way to make the perfect snack all year round.
- Large Bag of Pop Secret Popcorn
- Caramel Sauce
- Black Sprinkles
- Orange Melting Chocolate
- Black Melting Chocolate
- Baking Sheet
To get started, use the popcorn button on your microwave to cook your bagged popcorn. If you don’t have a popcorn button, just cook for 2-3 minutes or until there are about 3-4 seconds between pops. you can also use an air popper or make popcorn over the open flame if that’s the way your family likes to make crunchy caramel corn.
Once your popcorn is popped, pour it onto a cookie sheet. or in a roasting pan if you’re worried about it escaping from the cookie pan. Remove any unpopped popcorn kernels and set it aside.
Next, you’ll need to warm up the caramel slightly so it’s easy to mix. I just do this in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. You don’t want it to be too hot or it will saturate your popcorn, but you want it warm enough that it can be drizzles over the cooked microwave popcorn easily.
After the caramel is warmed, drizzle the caramel over the popcorn and use a rubber spatula to stir everything around until it’s evenly coated.
Warm the melting chocolates in a glass bowl in the microwave using 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until it’s melted and smooth.
Using a spatula, drizzle the melted chocolate, back and forth over the popcorn until it’s covered to your liking. Next, sprinkle on some Halloween candy sprinkles.
Let the chocolate cool and harden for a bit then enjoy!
This caramel corn recipe is so good, you might not be able to stop at just one serving! It’s the perfect fall treat and would make a great gift for any caramel corn lover in your life. Be sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container so it stays fresh and delicious.
Classic Caramel Corn Ideas
Depending on your child’s age and your family’s preferences, this homemade caramel corn recipe can be made spookier by adding candy eyeballs or gummy worms to your easy microwave caramel corn. Depending on which type of candy you use, you’ll want to adjust when you add the treats so you don’t end up with a big sticky mess.
You could also use your favorite football team’s colors instead of the orange and black melting chocolates for a delicious tailgate treat. There’s no shortage of ideas to take plain popcorn to a new levels with creative add ins.
Here are a few more to try:
- Add some pretzels to the mix for a little salty-sweet action
- Mix in some chopped nuts for some crunch
- Sprinkle on some ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for a fall twist
- Get creative with your chocolate and try white or milk chocolate instead
- Use colored candy melts or chocolate chips in team colors for a fun twist
- Add colorful M&Ms candies that match your movie’s theme for a yummy salty sweet treat
Tips for Making Perfect Caramel Corn
Now that you know how to make this delicious fall treat, here are a few tips to make sure your caramel corn comes out perfectly every time:
- Make sure your popcorn is completely popped before adding the caramel sauce. Otherwise, you’ll end up with uncooked kernels in your finished product.
- Warm the caramel sauce slightly before adding it to the popcorn. This will make it easier to mix and ensure that it coats all of the kernels evenly.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir the caramel corn as you drizzle on the melted chocolate. This will help prevent the chocolate from hardening too quickly and making clumps.
- Microwave ovens vary, so cook your popcorn for the minimum time specified in the recipe, then check it and cook for additional time if needed. You don’t want to overcook and end up with burnt popcorn.This easy microwave caramel corn recipe is a delicious and simple way to enjoy a fall favorite. With just a few ingredients and a little bit of time
- Any kind of popcorn will work for this recipe, but I prefer to use white popcorn because it has a more delicate flavor that lets the caramel and chocolate shine through.
- You can use pre-popped popcorn or pop your own kernels using an air popper or stovetop method.
There are so many ways to enjoy this easy caramel corn recipe, the sky’s the limit for this microwave recipe! Be sure to let us know how you like to enjoy your caramel corn in the comments below. And if you’re looking for more fall recipes, be sure to check out our collection of easy recipes perfect for the season.
I’d love to hear how you enjoy this fun and easy caramel monster popcorn! Happy Fall!
Caramel Monster Popcorn
- 1 Large Bag Popcorn
- 1 Bottle Caramel Topping
- 3 tbsp Black Sprinkles
- 5 tbsp Orange Melting Chocolate
- 5 tbsp Black Melting Chocolate
- 1 Large Cookie Sheet
Start by preparing your bag of popcorn and dumping it out onto your cookie sheet.
Drizzle your caramel all over your popcorn.
Next melt down your orange and black chocolate in the microwave, in 45 second intervals.
After adding your caramel, add your orange and black sprinkles.
Once your chocolate is ready drizzle popcorn with black and orange chocolate.
Let chocolate harden.
You can either serve on the cookie sheet, or place popcorn into a bowl using a spatula.
Serve and enjoy!