May was an expensive month for us, compared to April. We traveled a few times and had some additional expenses that we normally don’t have. However, we did manage to save money in May, here are 5 ways we saved money in May.
- We used coupons. We traveled to Savannah, GA, for a quick weekend getaway. We thought it would be easier to rent a minivan to haul all of the stuff that is necessary when traveling with a baby. My parents met us in Savannah too, so it was nice to have a vehicle that we could all ride in together. I reserved the car on the rental company’s website, but not before I Googled a few coupon codes. After trying a few that didn’t work, I found one, and it saved us $75 total on the rental. It never hurts to do a quick Google search for a coupon if you are making a purchase online (or even in store!). Savings: $75
- We stayed home Memorial Day weekend. Instead of taking our weekend getaway on Memorial Day weekend, we opted for the weekend before. Rates were much lower and gas prices were also slightly lower before the holiday weekend. Approximate savings: $200
- We shopped sales. My hubby needed a few things this month (socks, etc.). Instead of rushing out and purchasing them the first place I could find them, I waited until I knew there would be sales (Memorial Day weekend). I payed $5 per pack of socks vs. $10+ in the store. Savings: $10
- We packed snacks. My mom and I both packed snacks and drinks for our trip to Savannah. Mom brought a bag of snacks and drinks to the beach with us, so we didn’t have to spend money at the local concession stands or drink machines. My husband also likes to fish a lot, so instead of stopping by a gas station on his way to grab a few drinks and snacks, I have been packing a cooler for him to take. Approximate savings: $150
- I colored my hair at home. I am a die-hard salon girl, I very rarely color my hair at home…but I did this month. It was $8 for the box of color vs. $75 for my normal highlights. Sure…it was a savings. However, I will not do this again. I am not a pro at this at all and some things are just worth paying for. Savings: $67
[dropshadowbox align=”none” effect=”lifted-both” width=”auto” height=”” background_color=”#ffffff” border_width=”1″ border_color=”#dddddd” ]Total May Savings: $502[/dropshadowbox]