Last Updated on December 10, 2021 by Allison Lancaster
White chocolate hot chocolate is THE drink you need this season! If you’ve been around the internet lately, chances are you’ve heard of the new and highly delicious trend of hot chocolate bombs. If you’ve ever wondered how to make these chocolate spheres filled with hot chocolate powder and marshmallows, then stay tuned to see how you can create these white chocolate hot chocolate bombs at home!
During the cold winter months, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as having a cup of hot chocolate to keep warm. However, hot chocolate has gotten more interesting this year with the rise in popularity of the hot cocoa bombs!
If you want to DIY hot chocolate bombs at home, it can double as a great craft for kids, as well as a delicious treat for the whole family. These are great for little holiday decor or gifts because you can decorate them with colors and sprinkles that would work for any holiday!
The white hot chocolate bombs I’ll be sharing with you today are especially great for this because the white color really helps the color of the sprinkles pop!
What are hot chocolate bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs are chocolate spheres filled with hot cocoa powder, marshmallows, and any other little edible decorations you’d like to add such as sprinkles. Basically a fancy hot chocolate ball with marshmallows inside! You can then decorate these hot chocolate balls with whatever you like on the outside.
How do you use hot chocolate bombs?
This is where it gets really fun. You put one of the hot cocoa bombs into your mug, then pour your hot milk over it. The milk then begins to melt the chocolate and the ball opens up mixing in the hot chocolate powder and marshmallows.
Will hot chocolate bombs work with water?
They definitely will! Make sure you’re using a hot chocolate powder that pairs well with water for the best flavour. These will taste better with milk usually, but in a pinch, you can use hot water!
So let’s get to the fun stuff!
Here is how to make white chocolate hot chocolate bombs!
Makes 12 with a 12oz bag of light cocoa candy melts. I recommend using this silicone mold for this recipe.
How do you store these white chocolate hot chocolate bombs?
Now that you’ve made your hot cocoa bombs, you’ll want to store them in a dry, cool place in an airtight container. They’ll last about 2 weeks this way. You can also freeze or refrigerate your hot chocolate bombs to keep them fresh a little bit longer!
I hope you enjoy this white hot chocolate bomb recipe! They’re a great gift for anyone on your list, but be sure to also take some time to enjoy them for yourself with your friends and family!
The internet has been buzzing with the new and highly delicious trend of hot chocolate bombs lately. If you’ve ever wondered how to make these chocolate spheres filled with hot chocolate powder and marshmallows, then check out the recipe below!
- 1-12oz bag Wilton Light Cocoa Candy Melts
- Hot Cocoa Bomb Silicone Mold
- Scoopable Hot Cocoa Powder
- Miniature Marshmallows
- Decorating Bag
- Place 12 ounces of candy melts in a microwave safe bowl, heat on 50% power in the microwave for 3-5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop the chocolate into the half circles on the silicone mold, one at a time. Spreading the chocolate evenly onto the sides and bottom of mold until completely coated in melted chocolate. Do the same to all 12 half circles.
- Place the silicone molds into the freezer for 2-3 minutes and remove.
- Add a second layer of melted chocolate to the half circles molds, especially on the edges.
- Freeze again for another minute and remove.
- Carefully stretch the silicone molds to remove the half circles.
- Turn the mold upside down and place the rounded sides in between the molds as a stand while filling.
- Add 1 tablespoon of hot cocoa powder to the one side, about 5 mini marshmallows, and some sprinkles.
- Reheat the chocolate if it has hardened and add 4 tablespoons to a decorating bag.
- Cut a small tip off the decorating bag and frost the edge of one half chocolate circle. Carefully and quickly add an empty chocolate circle on top to make a sphere and hold it in place for 15 seconds or until the chocolate has acted like glue and hardened.
- Place onto a plate and drizzle melted chocolate on top with the decorating bag and quickly top with sprinkles.
- Let the chocolate harden and place in a glass of warm/hot milk, stir, and watch the bomb melt to see what’s inside or place in an empty glass and pour hot milk on top of the bomb, watching it melt, and then stir.