It doesn’t seem like very long ago that we had our baby shower…now my baby is 19 months old! Our baby showers (yes we were blessed with a few) were some of the best events of my life so far~we were truly blessed to be surrounded by people we love and who love our baby. We were blessed with some amazing gifts! While we loved each and every one of them, we have used some of them more than others now that our little one is here.
If you know of someone who is expecting, or you are expecting a precious one, this post is for you. There is a sea of information out there about baby products, gifts, etc. and it can be very overwhelming to new moms.
Here is a roundup of the 10 Most Practical Gifts I Received At My Baby Shower.
*You can click on photos to purchase items*
- Diapers. Whether the mom is cloth diapering or using disposables-diapers will be necessary for any new (or repeat) mom! When people told us “you won’t believe how many diapers you go through”, I would kind of think “yeah, ok”…but really guys, it’s amazing the sheer number of diapers you go through.
2. Dr. Brown’s Bottles. This is really personal preference. A dear friend (hey, Misty!) recommended Dr. Brown’s Bottles to us, so we registered for them. I really didn’t do much research on the bottle market, but these have been amazing. Sure, some people complain about all of the parts that come with them-but I would so much rather wash a few additional parts, than use other bottles. We have tried samples of several other brands and Levi doesn’t like any of them quite like the Dr. Brown’s. Each little one is different~but either way, you will need bottles. Yes, even if you are breastfeeding, eventually, you will use bottles!
3. Velcro Swaddles. You guys. These things are amazing. When you are post delivery, your mind is a
little lot foggy…so, swaddling with a blanket, at least for me, almost had me in tears a few times. Neither of us were good at swaddling with a blanket, so these swaddles were a life saver!
4. Fisher Price Snugapuppy Swing. This has been yet another lifesaver for us. When I am working in the office during the day, Levi likes to swing and watch me work, when nothing else would soothe him when we first brought him home-the swing would. This is a larger swing, but it’s so sturdy and with three dogs-I don’t worry about them going over and licking his face or hands like I would with one of the ones that is lower to the ground. The liner is removable/washable…and trust me, we have removed and washed a few times after those fun blowouts.
5. Purex Laundry Detergent. Yes, there are other baby detergents out there that smell amazing…at almost triple the cost of this. I picked up a bottle of it to try before Levi was born and we haven’t had any issues with it irritating his skin. Other little ones may have different skin types…so you have to choose what works for you, but we love this detergent! PS-It smells amazing too!!
6. Baby Wipes. Yes, I know this isn’t a ‘fun’ gift, either, but trust me…wipes are so practical! Along with diapers, this was another thing that people would say “You won’t believe how many you use”, and I would go “Yeah, ok”. Trust me..you use them. I use them for EVERYTHING. Besides the obvious uses, I use them to wipe down clothes after a blowout before I wash them in the sink, I use them to wipe spit up off of my clothes, I use them to wipe my phone screen after it gets spit up on it (or who knows what else), I use them to wipe our dogs down after it’s been raining and they’ve been outside, I use them to wipe toys down with…seriously, baby wipes are amazing!
7. Tervis Tumbler. This is a fun gift for mom! I use my Tervis Tumbler everyday, ya’ll. I keep it filled with water, tea…and
in the mornings most of the time with coffee. If you are breastfeeding, you will drink a ton of fluids! You will spend most of the first few weeks breastfeeding, and having a glass of water nearby is a life saver. These come in so many cute designs that they are a great ‘must have’ for new moms. While you are at it, get her a pack of straws…also a ‘must have’ in the hospital and those first few days/weeks at home.
8. Restaurant Gift Cards. No matter how much meal planning you do, how many freezer meals you make, or how many casseroles are brought–inevitably, you will wake up one morning craving Cracker Barrel for breakfast two weeks postpartum. Or, you will forget to put the freezer meal in the crockpot. Things happen, and at some point, you will want to order food or go out to eat after the baby arrives. Restaurant gift cards are amazing for new moms, *most of them* don’t expire and you can use them for a date night or just after a day has been really hectic, you may want to grab dinner out.
9. MAM Pacifiers. Again, there are so many brands/types of pacifiers, that you have to find what works for you and your little one. I swore up and down before we had Levi that I wouldn’t give him a paci, but fast forward to a 10 day NICU stay, two of which he was on IV fluids and they wouldn’t let him eat–I quickly threw that oath of “no pacis” out the window and gave him one. He still is not very dependent on the paci unless he is really tired, but they help! I have tried several brands with him, but he love the MAM brand pacis…and the glow in the dark ones are amazing when you are fumbling around at 3 am looking for it!
10. Skip Hop Nightlight & Melodies Soother. I may have saved the best for last. This thing is AHHHMAZING. When we were in the hospital for Levi’s extended NICU stay, there was one night where nothing would soothe him. He seriously did not sleep from midnight until 4 am. Know what put him to sleep? When the nurse came in to give him his IV antibiotics through this very loud pump…he was OUT. As soon as the pump cut off…he was right back up. So, that’s when I had my husband bring his soother/sound machine to the hospital…the next night, he slept wonderfully. We have this in our room, since he still sleeps in our room, and he loves it. Confession: we do too…my husband keeps saying when Levi moves to the nursery, that we are keeping the sound machine! It has several different sounds (ocean, heartbeat, nursery rhymes, etc.) and the owl’s belly is a nightlight–which is wonderful for those 3 am stumbles to the bathroom and back. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this soother!