When you need a delicious side for your BBQ parties, or any weeknight meal, these loaded smashed potatoes are quick and easy. Creamy red potatoes combined with melty cheese and bacon will be a family favorite!
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Family get togethers often are surrounded by food. Delicious, homestyle, and comforting foods. I love making different types of potato dishes that are not only easy, but family friendly. These loaded smashed potatoes fit the bill every single time.
What are smashed potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are just that. Potatoes that have been boiled, then smashed. Once they are smashed, topping with cheese, bacon, and other toppings then baking until crispy edges form makes an amazing dish.
Ingredients you will need
- Baby red potatoes
- Cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits
- Olive oil
How to make your loaded smashed potatoes
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Place soft potatoes on baking sheet, then carefully smash.
- Combined garlic and oil and coat each potato.
- Sprinkle with cheese, and bacon bits then bake.
What kind of potatoes do I need to use? Will only baby red work for loaded smashed potates?
This particular recipe uses baby red potatoes for smashing, but you can use any type of potato you’d like. Simply boil the potatoes until soft, and time may vary depending on size.
Ways to customize this recipe
- Add green onions and sour cream before serving.
- Swap cheddar cheese with shredded pepper jack and add sliced jalapenos for a spicy kick.
- Top with roasted broccoli and cheddar cheese.
Other recipes to try
- Baby Red Potatoes (1-3 per person)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- Boil Baby Red Potatoes and place them on a baking sheet.
- With a spoon or spatula slowly smash each potato.
- Pour the minced garlic into the olive oil and mix well.
- Coat each potato with the garlic/oil mixture.Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Add bacon bits and place the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.Serve & enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.