This strawberry trifle recipe is a great recipe to try, especially as a summer dessert! If strawberries are a favorite of yours, then you really need to try this light and airy strawberry dessert recipe!
Strawberries are a delicious and very popular berry, and when they’re in season, they are so sweet and tart!
There are so many wonderful strawberry desserts to try out, but I highly recommend beginning with this strawberry trifle recipe. This is the perfect recipe for summer events, in fact it would make an amazing 4th of July recipe to bring to the BBQ!
This recipe creates a large trifle that would be able to feed a good amount of guests, so this would be a great option to bake when you have friends or extended family over for a visit. Plus, it’s a very kid friendly recipe!
If you’ve ever watched the tv show Friends before, you may have seen Rachel’s attempt at creating a trifle for Thanksgiving, when she unfortunately mixed it with a shepherds pie recipe which didn’t turn out too well. Luckily, there’s no need to be concerned about that type of mistake here! You won’t find any beef or peas in this strawberry trifle recipe!!
Check out this refreshing strawberry trifle recipe to serve at your next event!
- Strawberry cake mix with ingredients to make cake OR your favorite homemade strawberry cake
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 pounds strawberries, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (8 ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a large (18x13) rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spritz the paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together ingredients for cake and pour evenly onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, checking for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle. When the toothpick returns clean, remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, hull and coarsely chop about 1 cup of strawberries.
- Mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Stir in the chopped strawberries. Fold in one container of whipped topping.
- Hull and slice the remaining strawberries, saving a few for garnish if desired.
- Cut cake into squares.
- In the bottom of a trifle bowl, create a layer of cake squares. Over the cake squares, dollop about half of the cream cheese strawberry mixture. Smooth to create an even layer.
- Top the cream cheese layer with a layer of sliced strawberries.
- Repeat the layers once, pressing down the layers if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours prior to serving. May be refrigerated up to two days prior to serving.
- When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and top the trifle with the second container of whipped topping, decorating as desired.
What is a trifle?
A trifle is a sponge cake that is created with layers of custard, cream, and jam, jelly, or fresh fruit.
Why is it called a trifle?
This type of dessert got its name from the English, as it’s a British dessert. It’s a very common and traditional dessert choice in England. You can learn more about the history of the trifle in this article.
What kind of dish is a trifle?
A trifle is a cake and fruit dessert.
If you are interested in more strawberry dessert fun, be sure to check out our no bake strawberry cheesecake recipe.
You may also really enjoy snacking with our strawberry yogurt bark recipe!