When you need an easy meal that is satisfying, yet not heavy, these spicy crab cakes are sure to please!
The summer heat is on for most of us, and eating heavy meals doesn’t seem to exciting. When we are enjoying time on the lake, or out with family at the beach, eating a lot of heavy foods is out of the question.
Many of us will turn to hot dogs, hamburgers, and grilled chicken for the summer time. Let’s face it, though. Those can get old really quickly, can’t they? So, what is a mom to do?
I like to turn to quick, simple meals like these spicy crab cakes.
They go together in a flash, and take less than an hour start to finish to make. The best part? I can make them ahead of time, stick them in the freezer and fry them up when we are wanting some.
Spicy crab cakes are elegant enough for a dinner party or as an appetizer at a gathering, but simple and filling enough to be a complete meal on their own. If you want to round them out a bit, you can add a side salad, or steamed veggie.
Read more summer inspiration here:
Tips for the best spicy crab cakes
- I have found that freezing the cakes really is the best way to make them work. It does take a bit longer, but they can fall apart if they are not frozen a bit first.
- Also, make sure your pan and oil are nice and hot before adding the spicy crab cakes. This keeps them from sticking to the bottom, and helps to cook more evenly.
- If you don’t want to use canola or vegetable oil, you can sub out avocado oil, olive, or coconut oil for frying.
Are you ready to tease your taste buds with an amazing flavor sensation?
What is your favorite summer meal? Will you make these spicy crab cakes? Let me know what you think!
Spicy Crab Cakes
- 2 cup panko bread crumbs divided
- 2 Tablespoons Miracle Whip can sub real mayo if desired
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice bottled or fresh
- 1 pound crab meat
- 3/4 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili peppers
- sour cream as garnish
- chives as garnish
- oil for frying
Add 1 cup of panko bread crumbs to a bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl mixing bowl add sour cream, miracle whip, lemon juice, and egg. Stir to combine .
Add crab meat, pepper jack cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 cup of panko bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and red chili peppers.
Roll mixture into two inch balls, and flatten.
Add the patties to the bowl of panko crumbs. Pack crumbs onto patties with your hands.
Place the crab cakes on a cooking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
Freeze them until firm, about 30 minutes.
Place a deep skillet over high heat and add about I inch of vegetable or canola oil into the pan.
Wait for the oil to get hot, add the crab cakes one by one .
Fry them on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Place sour cream and chives on top and serve.