This coconut cake recipe is a delicious one to try for all of the coconut lovers out there! Be sure to try it this summer to share with friends and family!
Coconut cake is a great treat year round, but there is something especially satisfying about it in the summer months as a delicious and light summer dessert!
If you’re a coconut fan then this is definitely a recipe that you’re going to want to try out – it’s sure to please!
This coconut cake is soft and delicious on the inside, with a nice fluffy frosting. Then there’s that wonderful crunch of the coconut on top! Who could resist such a lovely treat!?
Looking for another delicious coconut cake recipe? This one has taken the internet by storm!
This coconut cake is a great kid friendly dessert that the whole family will love and want to make again and again.
Be sure to check out our must have equipment list before beginning the baking fun to make sure you have everything you need.
13×9 sheet pan or (2) 8 inch round pans, sifter, hand held or stand mixer, mixing bowl, spatula
Coconut Cake Recipe
Try out this delicious coconut cake recipe, perfect for a light summer dessert!
- 3 cups AP flour
- 6 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted room temperature butter (1.5 sticks) 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract (optional) 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted, room temperature butter. 2 pounds confectioners or icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp clear or regular vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray cake pans with non stick baking spray
- Sift together AP flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vegetable oil until creamy (about 4-5 mins)
- Add sour cream, vanilla, coconut extract and mix until combined
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and coconut milk, alternately, adding 1⁄2 of each at a time and set batter aside.
- Whip egg whites in a clean bowl with clean mixing blades, once foamy add the cream of tartar. Continue to whip on high until a soft stiff peak forms in the egg whites.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake batter until there are no more streaks in color.
- Pour into prepared cake pan(s).
- Bake for 30-40 mins, Rotating the pan(s) at the 20 min mark to ensure even baking.
- Test the cake for doneness with a toothpick or butter knife going into the center of the cake pan. Once it comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature until completely cool (about 45-hour). Pair with coconut cream cheese icing
- Cream the cream cheese and butter on low until smooth Add confectioners’ sugar, coconut milk and vanilla.
- Beat on medium high for 3-4 mins until well combined
- Beat on high for an additional 4-5 min until creamy and fluffy
If this coconut cake has you craving even more coconut options, be sure to check out our equally tasty no bake chocolate and coconut quinoa cookies recipe. This is great for those chocolate lovers out there!
How to make easy coconut cake?
This coconut cake should be pretty easy to make, however if you’re looking for the easiest coconut cake to make, you can check out our snowflake shaped coconut cake recipe! It is the easiest coconut cake you’ll ever make!
Is coconut cake healthy?
This coconut cake recipe isn’t meant to be a “healthy” recipe, however it is definitely a healthier option than many other recipe options! You can of course make substitutions to make it even healthier!
How do you make a coconut cake from scratch?
This coconut cake is made fully from scratch, so it is a fantastic recipe choice for those who like their recipes to be completely homemade!