Learn how to make German chocolate cookies with this delectable family friendly cookie recipe! Your entire family will be begging for more!
Chocolate is one of the most popular snacks in the world, as are cookies. So it’s no surprise then that German chocolate cookies would be so heavenly!
Even better, this German chocolate cookie recipe is an easy one to make at home with your family! I am a sucker for anything German Chocolate and this cookie is no different!
To top off this already amazing cookie recipe, I have included a coconut pecan frosting recipe which tastes amazing with the deep chocolate flavor of the cookies!
If you have someone who can’t have pecans or coconut, don’t worry, you can skip the topping all together, the cookies will still be an amazing baked treat for kids and adults alike!
This recipe is a great one to use while baking with kids. They’ll be extra motivated to help out in the kitchen when they see the chocolatey goodness that awaits them at the finish line!
If you’re baking this recipe with kids, keep an extra eye on them while creating the coconut pecan topping so that it doesn’t get overcooked!
Do chocolate cookies go bad?
Yes, chocolate cookies do go bad! It’s best to eat these fresh baked German chocolate cookies within a few days of making them to have them as fresh and delicious as possible! I have a feeling that these might not stick around long enough to get stale though!
Do chocolate cookies freeze well?
You can freeze chocolate cookies to preserve their freshness, however, it’s best to not leave them longer than a few weeks! Be sure to toss them into a freezer safe bag.
I hope you enjoy these German chocolate cookies with coconut pecan frosting.
If you’re interested in more chocolate recipes, try out this Fun Chocolate Berry Bark Recipe! Or if you’re looking for another cookie recipe to explore, this Apple Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe is a great one for everyone to enjoy!
German Chocolate Cookies
Try out these deep, chocolatey German chocolate cookies that will surely please any chocolate lover!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄8 tsp salt (a pinch)
For the Topping
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper, cream, butter and both sugars until light and fluffy 3-5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat until combined.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the wet mixture.
- Mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop 12 cookies per baking rack leaving space between as these cookies will spread while baking.
- Bake for 12-14 mins.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 mins before moving it to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are baking make the topping.
Making the Topping:
- In a heavy bottom saucepan combine evaporated milk, granulated sugar, egg yolks and unsalted butter.
- Cook on medium heat for 10-12 mins stirring frequently so as to not end up with scrambled eggs.
- After the sauce thickens (10-12 mins) remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Set aside and let cool before adding to the cookies.
- Scoop a tablespoon of filling on top of each cookie and serve.