Loaded with savory sausage, creamy pimento cheese, and Red Lobster’s Biscuit mix, this delicious Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls recipe is perfect for enjoying at holiday parties, family get-togethers, during football season, or even to eat for breakfast!
These easy sausage cheese balls are super easy to make and only take under 20 minutes in the oven. While I like to use my mixer, you can 100% use your hands to mix this recipe. This is a super fun recipe to let your kiddos join in on.
We’ve eaten them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner… really! It’s a great versatile recipe and perfect to make ahead.
Serve them at your next party with your favorite dipping sauce, like honey mustard or ranch dressing for the perfect game day appetizer recipes.
If you love this appetizer recipe, be sure to try out my Easy Fried Mac and Cheese Bites, Slow Cooker Meatballs or Oven Baked Bacon Wrapped Fried Pickles.
What is Pimento Cheese?
It’s a mayonnaise-based cheese spread with sharp cheddar cheese and pimentos. It’s absolutely delicious. We like to eat it with crackers or use it as a dip for chips and veggies.
You can also spice up your pimento cheese sausage balls with jalapeños or add chipotle peppers for a little bit of smokey flavor.
Can I use another kind of pork sausage?
Instead of using ground pork sausage for your pimento cheese sausage balls, you can always use turkey sausage instead.
Keep in mind that turkey sausage is going to have less fat, so I would add melted butter or milk to keep the sausage balls from drying out.
If you want to add more spice to your cheesy sausage balls, feel free to use hot instead of mild ground pork.
I’ve used Jimmy Dean’s Hot pork sausage before, and it was spicy, but it was good. If you can’t find a hot choice of sausage, add in some red pepper flakes to your regular breakfast sausage.
Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls Tips:
- Take your sausage out of the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before you start. Softening the sausage allows you to mix it a lot easier.
- I like to use a mixer, but I have used my hands to mix everything plenty of times! It’s totally up to you.
- Try your best to roll all of these balls into the same size.
Can you freeze this Sausage Cheese Balls Recipe?
You can! This is a great big-batch recipe for breakfast and as a classic appetizer. You can either freeze them before you bake them or after you bake them.
If you’re making them ahead, place the unbaked sausage balls on a large baking sheet and toss them in the freezer.
Once your pimento cheese balls are completely frozen, place them in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
You can bake these sausage balls frozen, just add a few minutes to the baking time.
How can I reheat my Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls?
I don’t recommend microwaving leftover sausage balls because they may get a little rubbery. However, you can toss them in the microwave, wrapped in damp paper towels, for a few seconds.
I have found that the best way is to reheat them in the oven because it keeps them crispy.
There are so many ways that you can change up your pimento cheese sausage balls.
- Extra Spice? Add Jalapeños!
- Extra Smoke? Add Chipotle Peppers!
- Extra Savory? Add Bacon!
Three Ingredient Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls
Ground Pork Sausage: I like to use mild sausage for my pimento cheese balls recipe, but you can also use breakfast sausage. If you want something a little spicier, try out hot ground pork instead.
Pimento Cheese: You can purchase premade pimento cheese at your local grocery store. I’ve found it in the deli area, where they keep shredded cheese. I like to use regular pimento or palmetto cheese, but feel free to switch it up based on your taste preferences. Keep in mind the biscuit mix has a lot of flavors!
Red Lobster Biscuit Mix: I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love Red Lobster’s Cheddar Biscuits. I LOVE using this biscuit mix because it adds the perfect herbs and spices to your sausage mixture. They also have a gluten-free version, but I have yet to try it out.
How to Make Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a large, rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer or by hand, combine the sausage, baking mix, and cheese in a large bowl until well blended.
3. Scoop dough into 1 to 2 tablespoon portions and roll into balls. Be sure to space the sausage balls about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. You can use a cookie scoop for this part, if you’d like.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 17 minutes or until browned.
5. Remove the pimento cheese sausage balls and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
6. For best results, serve immediately.
3 Ingredient Sausage Cheese Balls with Pimento Cheese
Loaded with savory sausage, creamy pimento cheese, and Red Lobster’s Biscuit mix, this delicious Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls recipe is perfect for enjoying at holiday parties, family get-togethers, football season, or even to eat for breakfast!
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 (11 ounce) container pimento or palmetto cheese
- 1 (11.36 ounce) box Red Lobster biscuit mix with seasoning packet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer or by hand, combine the sausage, baking mix, and cheese until well blended.
- Scoop dough into 1 to 2 tablespoon portions and roll into balls. Space the sausage balls about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until browned.
- Remove the sausage balls and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- For best results, serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g