If you know me, you know that I am all about saving a little bit of money. Sometimes it embarrasses my husband-but in the end he usually goes “you were right-that did work!” This will be a monthly series that I post outlining ways that we have saved money in the previous month.
- I negotiated for a better price on our new floors-we recently had new flooring installed in part of our house. We finally were able to get rid of some of the nasty carpet that was in our home when we purchased it and put down new laminate flooring that I am in love with. The company originally quoted us $200 higher than what we ended up paying. I simply said “well, we had budgeted $300 less, can you match that?”, they came with $200 less and we did it! Savings-$200
- I purchased baby formula on clearance- While I breastfeed as much as possible, I have a low milk supply, so we have to supplement with formula. CVS recently re-did the packaging on their brand of formula (comprable to Gerber’s Gentlease formula), so the formula in the ‘old packaging’ went on clearance. Cans of formula that normally cost around $25 were on clearance for $5.99! We purchased 9 cans between myself and my mom (thanks, mom!) Savings-$180
- We stayed at home-Now that I am not working outside of the home, we are saving a good amount of money on gas each month. When I was working outside of the home, I was commuting 30 miles each way to work, 5 days a week. I would typically spend $50 in gas each week. Now, I usually only spend $20 in gas each week for my vehicle. Savings-$120
- We didn’t buy clothes-We are blessed that my husband’s new job provides him with uniforms. This has saved us money in purchasing clothing for him. When I was working as an Executive Assistant, I had to dress in business attire each day. We were expecting to spend at least $200 for new clothes for me when I returned to work after maternity leave. Savings-$250
- We cooked at home-While we did eat out somewhat more than usual this month for various reasons, we tried really hard to cook/eat at home. Now that I am working from home, I have more time to cook meals at home. This saved us a good amount of money this month. I also made breakfast and lunches for my husband most days so that he did not have to eat out. Savings-$150
Total Savings for April 2016-$900
How about you? How did you save money in April? How do you plan to save money in May?